Call for applications for new steering committee members
The Commonwealth Youth Sport for Development and Peace Network is recruiting new members to join our Steering Committee. The Commonwealth Youth for Sport for Development and Peace (CYSDP) Network is the leading and driving voice, for youth in the Commonwealth, towards promoting best practices in Sport for Development and Peace.
We are seeking to add six members by February 2018. Please note that these are voluntary roles. Further information about the CYSDP Network, a description of the Steering Committee roles and how to apply are provided below.
About the Commonwealth Youth Sport for Development and Peace Network.
The CYSDP Network is a group of young leaders from Commonwealth regions, with expertise and understanding of Sport for Development and Peace (SDP), supported by the Commonwealth Secretariat to contribute to advancing sustainable development in the Commonwealth through sport.
This network provides a platform for young SDP leaders to collaborate on important national, regional and global development issues. It also strengthens the capacity of young people to engage with their communities, policy makers and wider stakeholders. This approach embraces young people as catalysts for change.
CYSDP’s mission is to be “the leading and driving voice for youth in the Commonwealth towards promoting best practices for sport, development and peace in their respective societies.”
CYSDP’s vision is “to Advocate, Educate and Demonstrate to policy makers and young people across the Commonwealth, the benefits of employing sport as a tool to contribute to development issues”.
What has the CYSDP network achieved so far?
Since its establishment in 2013, the CYSDP network has achieved the following:
- Published the Youth SDP Advocacy Toolkit, which has been utilized throughout the Commonwealth as a guide for young people to advocate for SDP
- Presented recommendations to two Commonwealth Sport Ministers Meetings
- Facilitated workshops for over 800 young people in developing strategies to advocate for best practices in development through sport.
- Collaborated with stakeholders such as UNICEF, Royal Commonwealth Society & the Commonwealth Games Federation to facilitate athlete impact sport for development and peace workshops at the 2015 & 2017 Commonwealth Youth Games.
- Expanded CYSDP from a working group to a network to engage a wider cross section of young people in the Commonwealth.
Structure of the CYSDP Network
The CYSDP Network Steering Committee consists of 12 members, who are selected based on the skill sets requires to achieve the mission and vision of CYSDP, and reflect the cultural, ethnic and geographic diversity that is a defining feature of the Commonwealth.
The CYSDP Network is looking to fill the current vacant volunteer positions:
- Caribbean & the Americas regional focal point
- Asia regional focal point
- Policy and Research focal points
- Communications focal points
Appointments are made for a one-year term, renewable for up to three terms (up to the age of 29 years old).