Purpose of this Toolkit
The Positive Youth Development Measurement Toolkit, developed by YouthPower Learning, provides guidance and resources for implementers of youth programming in LMICs to integrate PYD principles in their monitoring and evaluation (M&E) systems and effectively measure PYD outputs and outcomes within their programs. This online toolkit provides an introduction and a brief overview of the toolkit.
The overall goal of this toolkit is to help programs effectively measure PYD outcomes in order to improve program performance over time, contribute to the body of evidence on PYD, and ultimately influence multi-sector outcomes and impact of youth programming.
This PYD measurement toolkit provides the following:
1. A framework for measuring PYD;
2. A set of illustrative PYD indicators that can be applied to and across various sectors;
3. A discussion about the application of PYD framework and indicators at each phase of a program design and evaluation;
4. A discussion about the major considerations for adapting measures cross-culturally
5. Resources and references for implementers and evaluators;
The toolkit can also help program implementers, evaluators and researchers contribute to building the evidence within and across sectors on two overarching research questions:
• What is the effectiveness of PYD programs in improving outcomes for youth in LMICs?
• What are the key PYD features associated with improved outcomes for youth?
The primary audiences of this toolkit are
• evaluators and
• funders of youth programs (both United States Government (USG) and non-USG).
Other audiences include those in the broader PYD space such as academics or youth advocates interested in PYD measurement.